Want to save some money?Receive helpful home tips and money saving coupons sent directly to your inbox
Why choose American Heating and Cooling?
Ductless HVAC systems, or mini-splits, are popular for their efficiency, ease of installation, and comfort. As the name suggests, ductless air conditioners and heat pumps do not require indoor ductwork to function. They offer heating or cooling for specific areas of a building rather than circulating air throughout the house or office like central air conditioning. These systems are offered for single and multi-zones.
In last couple of decades, ductless heating and air systems have become more popular with homeowners. There’s plenty to know about their benefits, potential drawbacks, and maintenance requirements so let’s jump right in.
Advantages of Ductless Heating and Air
These systems work with ductless heat pumps or air conditioners and an outdoor compressor. The indoor units heat or cool the single or multi-zones instead of using ductwork to circulate conditioned air.
Ductless heating and air systems can be a wise option for conditioning the air in an older home or new addition without having to put in ductwork. They’re also an attractive option to property owners look for a more efficient, cost-effective system. This is because these systems use inverter-driven compressors, which increase or decrease in speed based on the needs of the system. The systems are often quieter than traditional HVAC systems and can be used to condition the air in trickier parts of the home such as basements and attics. Also, it’s worth noting that the overall cost of operation and installation is generally less than HVAC systems that rely on ductwork.
Here are some other benefits to be aware of if you’re considering going ductless:
- Lower utility bills and smaller carbon footprint due to less energy use
- Ability to cool and heat only the rooms in use
- Greater control over comfort level due to zoning
- Quieter operation
- Greater flexibility in temperatures (keep one room cool and another warmer to satisfy differing temperature preferences)
- Faster installation time
- Better indoor air quality
Considerations to Keep in Mind
Ductless systems work for a variety of buildings and situations. They’re only increasing in popularity as property owners look for energy efficient ways to cool and heat spaces without investing in timely and costly ductwork installation.
However, there are some things to think over before installing a ductless system:
- Because ductless systems work with a single or multi-zone, they may not be ideal if you want to achieve the same temperature throughout your home or office.
- Ductless systems may not be an interior designer’s dream. You’ll need wall space to install them and will keep to clean them regularly.
- They are higher in cost than baseboard or window units.
- You must stay on top of filter cleanings and replacements to keep indoor air quality up.