I had to replace my hvac unit recently. I was very satisfied with every phase of this purchase from the salesman to the installation crew.
I will recommend American Heating and Cooling to all my friends.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
HVAC Maintenance Checklist
At American Heating And Cooling, we want to help you extend the life of your HVAC system. Good maintenance does just that. Aside from an annual inspection and tune-up, we also compiled this helpful HVAC maintenance checklist to follow throughout the year.
Air Conditioning Maintenance Checklist
Follow the recommendations from your air conditioner manufacturer as well. It is also a good idea to complete these steps at least once a month while using your A/C:
- Look for any leaks under the unit or in the area.
- Clean out the drain pan located under the unit as needed.
- Visually inspect the system to look for any cracks or damaged lines.
- Reprogram your thermostat to work efficiently.
- Remove all debris from around the exterior condenser.
- Have a professional check refrigerant levels if your air isn’t cool.
Furnace Maintenance Checklist
After reading through your owner’s manual and following any requirements for preventative maintenance your warranty requires, follow these tips:
- Perform a visual inspection of the heat exchanger, burners, and switches. Look for cracks or deterioration.
- Check the gas line for leaks, including from the shut-off valve through to the burners.
- Inspect and replace the air filter.
- All condensate hoses and traps need to be cleaned out and replaced if damaged.
- Ensure your thermostat is working properly.
- Remove any debris near or on the furnace.
- Monitor heat vents to ensure proper heat distribution throughout the home.
What Else You Can Do To Maintain Your HVAC System
Be aware of what’s happening around your home. Look for changes in the way your HVAC system works as well as changes in the way your home feels.
- Notice the humidity levels in your home. If they are too high, consider air conditioner repair or adjustment.
- Always keep all air filters clean. Replace these one time every month.
- Clean out all blow components, including vents and registers throughout the home.
- Noticing more dust build-up, consider having the ductwork cleaned out.
- Energy bills rising? Consider improving efficiency with your HVAC system with improved sealing.
- Clean around any exterior vents and condensers – remove leaves, debris, dust, and other materials.
- Update your thermostat to fit the seasons; consider an automated version.
- Replace the batteries in thermostats or any wireless system in the home.
- Ensure the carbon monoxide detector is working, testing it, and replace the batteries at least annually.
Schedule A Consultation And Inspection With American Heating And Cooling
Call us at least one time a year for a full HVAC system inspection for safety and maintenance. In the interim:
- Report any changes in humidity and energy usage to our team to determine the underlying cause.
- If you have a blown breaker from your AC or furnace, turn it off and call our team.
- Upgrading or installing a new HVAC component? Let our team handle the process.
- Have your HVAC ductwork inspected one time a year, where visible, to minimize efficiency problems.
Ready to make an appointment? Call American Heating & Cooling today to schedule a repair or an annual inspection.